Sunday, October 16, 2011

Week 8: Benjamin Franklin, Layers of the Earth, Jesus is THE Rock

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Benjamin Franklin

I learned a lot about Benjamin Franklin this week...and I know Dario did also. He really enjoyed reading "Benjamin Franklin" by Ingri and Edgar Parin D'aulaire and putting together his lapbook.


I realized while we were completing the lapbook project, that this was a really great beginner's "research" project. There was so much information in the book, that he had to look up the information as we went along in order to complete the individual booklets. He also completed an online webquest and a cute coloring picture seen here.

Along with Benjamin Franklin, we also studied the layers of the Earth. I thought this weeks science lesson was very "light", but I found a couple of extra's to add in, and Dario really seemed to enjoy them. The first was a cut and paste, "Layers of the Earth" project,


and the other project was an edible replica of the layers of the earth. I highly recommend this project!! It tasted great!




He really enjoys his "projects" and is VERY disappointed when we don't have any scheduled!
In Bible this week we learned that Jesus is THE Rock. Dario loves music, and loved singing "Rock of Ages" while we studied about Jesus being our Rock in times of need, and the Rock that we need to build our life upon. Matthew 7:24.


In Math, we continued to work on addition (3 and 4 digit numbers, regrouping, and also adding columns of numbers). In Language Arts, specifically writing, we continued to learn how to organize our details when writing.
Again, another good week. I love hearing Dario recounting all he's learned to the rest of the family. This continues to be such a "natural" way of learning for Dario...next week, George Washington!

These are the books and movies we used this week.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Dario you and mommy have been very busy with school. You are doing great and I am very proud of you and mommy and tell Jewell I'm proud of her and am sure she is doing very well in school too. Love aunt Joyce

    ReplyDelete